Monday, June 15, 2009

Ides of Skull Fanatic: Cris

Welcome to another successful Skull-A-Day feature from our beloved Skullmaster, that Tatman, and myself, Citizen Agent, decided to continue for another year. As you can tell from the title, on the 15th* of each month during year 3.0 we will be featuring another fanatic who makes Skull-A-Day so special for all of us. Sit back, grab your favorite soothsayer and enjoy a part of Skull-A-Day that even Caesar himself would not be fearful of.

Cris, a Sacramento, CA area based artist who has been doing art in one form or another for over 20 years, is the latest addition to the Skull Fanatics series.

Cris wrote: "I actually have about 2x as many skulls are shown here, I just have them boxed up, ready to take to my kid's school to show and teach them about bones. I have collected skulls for about , um, 22 years and have many many, probably about 40 or so. All in the pic are real, from animals that died of natural causes (except for the bear, I am unsure of his/her death, but I am afraid it was not natural). I have always liked skulls, not just in a goth sort of way. I am also very interested in biology and am currently applying for nursing schools. My bone collection came in quite handy while studying anatomy and physiology :) I used to do photography with them, but now they just sit around, grinning at me. "


Kiln C says:

Thanks for sharing your fanatical ways with us Cris. My favorite part of this collection is the large mug sitting on the table. Cris has more original clay pieces featured in an Etsy Shop here.

Are you a certified/certifiable Skull Fanatic? If so, send an image or two of your personal skull/skeleton collection and tell us a bit about what makes you so crazy for skulls, how many skulls you own, and whatever else you think is pertinent!


*Before all you SPOR-o-philes write in with corrections- We are taking some liberties here so cut us some slack. SPOR-o-noobs FYI: The word "ides" is derived from the Latin: "to divide." In ancient Rome, the "ides" fell on the 15th day in March, May, July and October, every other month, the "ides" fell on the 13th. (Notice something superstitious here?)

2 comments:

Tatman said...

Very nice collection, Cris. Be sure to get all of those young minds interested in skulls as well. Future generations rely on our passing the knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

skeletaldropkick said...

Thank you for posting my messy workspace :) Someday I will have time to organise and take a real photo of all my skulls and bones!