Wednesday, May 21, 2008

353. Molded Paper Skull

Molded Tissue Paper (approx. 12in x 8in [30cm x 20cm]) Thanks to my friend Shelia for helping me make a plaster mold and teaching me this technique. I was hoping to make a mold earlier in this project so that I could use it for some other materials, but I just never got around to it. It took several tries to figure out how best get the layers from sticking to the mold (petroleum jelly worked best), this was the fourth attempt. I'll probably make more at some point (when I'm in less of a rush to get it done!).

7 comments:

Keltie said...

Oh, I love this one! Usually for my release I use a layer of the material I'm molding with with just water. I can see how that would stick to the plaster, so maybe sealing the plaster with polyurethane or something would work. I've been thinking of doing something similar so I'll have more durable forms and molds to work with.

L.Bo Marie said...

it's so delicate looking... it almost reminds me of those masks and ballerina shoes that alot of my friends had hanging on their walls growing up... but cooler.

Sarah said...

my first comment on here - but I have been drooling over your blog for a while :)

this one is incredibly well times, as I am currently knee deep in toilet paper and paper pulp trying out paper casting for the first time myself - thanks to an online challenge I am taking part in - you should enter!! :) :

http://michelleward.typepad.com/how_cool_is_that/2008/05/crusade-no-20-c.html

Well, anyway, Michelle (head honcho of said challenge site) recommends using pearlex as a release agent. It's not cheap, but it will leave your piece with a beautiful pearlescent or metallic sheen.

Sarah said...

of course I meant well TIMED

and I should have made the link clickable, apologies:

GPP Street Team paper casting challenge

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Ahh. . . .

Ahhhh. . .

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-
CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Ooopsie. Sorry.

Joseph Chiang said...

Nice technique! Love the ghostly look achieved with the tissue paper.

j said...

this is sooo nice!!!
love it's delicate/rough quality..
beautiful